1. Ask for your CPP file 

When you get the decision letter from Service Canada, it might not be clear why they decided that:

  • you're not eligible for a pension or benefit, or
  • you can get only a certain amount.

If this happens, you may want to order a copy of your CPP file. You can do this because of a law called the Privacy Act.

Getting your file can help you figure out:

  • why Service Canada made their decision, and
  • what you need to include when you ask for a .
Even if you're waiting to get your CPP file, make sure to ask for your reconsideration within 90 days of getting the decision letter.

How to get a copy of your file

You need to make an Access to Information and Privacy (ATIP) request. You can make this request online or by mail.

When using the online form, select Employment and Social Development Canada as where you want the request to go. This is the government department that's in charge of Service Canada.

Or, you can print the Personal Information Request Form and fill it out. Then mail it to the ATIP Coordinator for Employment and Social Development Canada.

After you ask

The law says that the ATIP Coordinator must reply to you within 30 days of getting your request. They'll either:

  • give you your file, or
  • send a letter explaining why they need more time.

If some information in your file is missing or left out, the ATIP Coordinator must explain why. The legal term is that the information has been redacted.

Hide this website