What can I do about an ODSP overpayment?

1. Ask ODSP for details

When the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) says you have an , make sure to ask them for details in writing. ODSP should give you a letter saying:

  • why they think you have an overpayment
  • what you can do if you don't agree with their decision

ODSP should not collect an overpayment from you unless they can prove:

  • why there's an overpayment
  • the amount of the overpayment

The overpayment could be money you got from ODSP or from Ontario Works (OW).

Why overpayments happen

Overpayments can happen for many reasons. For example:

  • You had or that you didn't report.
  • Something changed in your life and you didn't report it. For example, you started to pay less for your housing or someone moved in with you.
  • You got and did not win your appeal to the .
  • You didn't follow the agreement you made to pay back social assistance that you got while waiting for other benefits, like Employment Insurance.
  • ODSP or OW made a mistake and gave you more money than they were supposed to.
Hide this website