Will ODSP help pay my costs when I travel for medical treatment?
Question & AnswerWill ODSP help pay my costs when I travel for medical treatment?
1. Learn when ODSP pays for treatment travel
The Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) may be able to help pay your costs of travelling for medical treatments.
Types of treatment
ODSP may help pay travel costs if your treatment fits into one of the 3 types listed here:
- You’re going to get therapy or treatment from a regulated health professional. This includes many health professionals, for example, doctors, nurses, psychologists, dentists, opticians, chiropractors, naturopaths, and midwives.
- You’re going to a local drug or alcohol recovery group, such as Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous, that your doctor or psychologist has prescribed for you.
- You’re going to mental health therapy or counselling that’s:
- prescribed for you by a psychologist, a psychiatrist, or other doctor,
- given by qualified mental health caseworkers and adapted to your needs, and
- supervised by a psychologist, a psychiatrist, or other doctor.
You can ask ODSP for help to pay travel costs for other types of treatment that your doctor or other health professional prescribes for you. Talk to a community legal clinic for advice and help if ODSP refuses.