2. Ask a health professional to complete the application form

Beware of scams

People have been getting phone calls with a pre-recorded message telling them their Ontario Works account has been deleted.

This is a scam to trick you into sharing your personal information. If you get a call like that, hang up the phone. You can report these calls to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501.

A health professional has to fill out the special diet allowance application form.

The health professional has to be approved to practise in Ontario as one of the following:

  • a family doctor or a specialist
  • a dietitian
  • a nurse practitioner
  • a midwife, if the special diet is for a baby less than a year old because breastfeeding isn't possible

Medical conditions

The application form has a list of all of the medical conditions that qualify for a special diet allowance.

If a medical condition is not on the list, you can't get an allowance for it.

And for each medical condition on the list, there's a maximum amount of money that Ontario Works (OW) will give you.

The most you can get for a special diet allowance is $250 a month. This could be for one or more than one condition.

Hide this website