3. Complete the application for CPP retirement benefits
Question & AnswerHow do I apply for CPP retirement benefits?
You can apply for your online or using a paper application.
Setting up a My Service Canada Account
The first step is to ask for a Personal Access Code. You need this to use any of the online services like applying for CPP retirement benefits. You can get the code by providing the following information:
- your first and last name
- your date of birth
- the last name of one of your parents when they were born
- your postal code if you're a Canadian resident
You'll get the code in the mail within 5 to 10 business days. With the code, you can go to your My Service Canada Account and start filling out your CPP application. You'll need your:
- Personal Access Code
- Social Insurance Number
- date of birth
Using a paper application
You have to use a paper application if any of the following apply to you:
- you're getting a CPP benefit, such as , survivor's pension, or CPP children’s benefits
- you've received or applied for and been denied a CPP benefit in the past
- you live outside Canada
- you have someone officially taking care of your finances, including your CPP account, such as a power of attorney.
The government has an information sheet that can help you fill out your application.
Once you've completed the application, you can drop if off at a Service Canada office or mail it to them. Use the address that's on your application form.