2. Learn about when you must try to get spousal support

Beware of scams

People have been getting phone calls with a pre-recorded message telling them their Ontario Works account has been deleted.

This is a scam to trick you into sharing your personal information. If you get a call like that, hang up the phone. You can report these calls to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501.

Ontario Works (OW) can refuse to give you assistance or can reduce or cut off your assistance, if you:

  • might be able to get , and
  • don't make “reasonable efforts” to get it.

“Reasonable efforts” could include:

  • applying to family court for a support order
  • making sure you give OW all the information you have about trying to get support

OW will ask for the name of your spouse. They could also ask where that person is and for other information, like:

  • their (SIN)
  • their employer's name and address
  • how long you lived together and when you separated

If you know this information but don't give it to OW, they can refuse to give you assistance, or reduce or cut off your assistance.

If this happens, you might be able to appeal OW’s decision.

What OW may ask you to do

OW may ask you to:

  • make a support agreement with your spouse that follows the guidelines that the courts use to decide on spousal support
  • apply to get a for spousal support
  • go back to court and ask the court to order your spouse to pay more support
  • enforce a spousal support agreement or court order that you already have

But there are times when you may not have to try to get spousal support. See Step 3.

Hide this website