4. Get legal help

Ontario Works says I have an overpayment. What can I do?
This question has an answer and 4 steps

4. Get legal help

If Ontario Works (OW) says you owe them money, it’s important to get legal help as soon as possible.

You can contact a community legal clinic.

Appealing OW’s decision

You may be able to appeal the decision about an overpayment to the Social Benefits Tribunal.

But first you must ask OW for an internal review of their decision. And you must do this within 30 days from the date you got the decision.

If you miss the deadline, you can still ask for an internal review. Do this as soon as you can.

Explain why your request is late and ask for more time. If you can show that you have a good reason, you might still get an internal review.

Getting advice about your options

It’s important to get legal advice about:

Getting help from a criminal lawyer

If OW thinks you’re guilty of fraud and asks the police to look into this, talk to a criminal lawyer right away.

You May Also Need

Reviewed: May 10, 2019

Parlez Français