Can I get spousal support and money from OW?
Question & AnswerCan I get spousal support and money from OW?
4. Learn about how to get spousal support
If you and your partner agree
Some people can agree about spousal support without talking to a lawyer.
But it’s still a good idea for:
- one of them to get a lawyer to put the agreement in writing, and
- the other person to get a different lawyer to check it.
That way each person can make sure that the agreement:
- means what they want it to mean
- protects their rights
If you and your partner don’t agree
If the two of you can’t agree about spousal support, you have 2 options. You can:
- ask a family law professional to help you
- go to court and ask a judge to decide
Family law professionals are people who are trained to work with both of you so you can avoid going to court. They can either help you make an agreement or make a decision for you. Sometimes this is called alternative dispute resolution.