I’m under 18 and don’t live with my parents. Can I get OW?

Find out what to do if you don’t agree with a decision OW makes

Ontario Works (OW) may refuse or cut off your assistance if they decide you don't qualify or if you don't follow the rules.

This could happen, for example, if:

  • OW decides you don't have “special circumstances” to explain why you can't live with your parents
  • OW says they want someone else to confirm why you're on your own
  • you don't take a parenting program that OW tells you to take
  • OW refers you for counselling and you don't go

If OW refuses to give you assistance or cuts off your assistance, you may be able to appeal to the Social Benefits Tribunal (SBT).

The SBT is not part of OW and has the power to make a different decision.

If you don't agree with a decision that OW makes or need help dealing with OW, you can contact your local community legal clinic.

Hide this website