What government benefits are there for seniors other than OAS?

Learn more about the Allowance for the Survivor

The is a monthly benefit for people:

  • who are living on a low income, and
  • whose spouse or has died.

You don't pay taxes on the Allowance for the Survivor. But OAS is taxable .

Who’s eligible

If your spouse or common-law partner was getting the GIS before they died, you may be able to get the for the Survivor if all of the following are true:

  • you're 60 to 64 years old
  • you're a Canadian citizen or legal resident when you apply for the Allowance for the Survivor
  • your annual income is less than the maximum annual threshold
  • you've not married again or started another common-law relationship
  • you live in Canada and meet what's called the “minimum residency requirement”, which is 10 years since you were 18 years old

Sometimes, even if you don't meet the minimum residency requirement you may be eligible to get a partial Allowance for the Survivor. This would apply if you've lived or worked in a country that Canada has a social security agreement with.

A who was sponsored to Canada and is still under a usually can't get the Allowance for the Survivor. If you were sponsored, read more in the step called Find out how benefits can be affected if you’re a sponsored immigrant.

How to apply

You must apply in writing for the Allowance for the Survivor. Complete and mail in:

How much you can get

The amount of the Allowance for the Survivor you get depends on your income. To continue getting the Allowance for the Survivor, you must file your income taxes every year so the government knows that you're still eligible. It's best to file by the April 30 deadline to avoid delays.

You can check the government’s tables to get a general idea of how much you can get.

You stop getting the Allowance for the Survivor when you turn 65.

Hide this website