How can I tell if my immigration or refugee legal representative is reliable?NewUpdated September 28
1. Make sure the person operates in Canada
To make sure that the person offering to help you is in Canada, you should:
- check their website address to make sure that it ends in .ca
- check that the address in your browser's address bar matches the address you typed
- check the website to see if there is an office located in Canada and a phone number
- ask for the office address if you can't find one, and do an internet search on the business
- call the phone number and see if it is a real business
It's also a good idea to ask for a reference. This can include a former client if they are willing to talk to you.
Check to see if the lawyer or paralegal is licensed by the Law Society of Ontario and is not facing a discipline process.
Check to see if the immigration consultant is registered with the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC) and is not facing a discipline process.