1. Make sure the person operates in Canada

To make sure that the person offering to help you is in Canada, you should:

  • check their website address to make sure that it ends in .ca
  • check that the address in your browser's address bar matches the address you typed
  • check the website to see if there is an office located in Canada and a phone number
  • call the phone number listed for the representative and see if it is a real business
  • ask for the office address if you can't find one, and do an internet search on the business

It's also a good idea to ask for a reference. If you do an online search for reviews of the legal representative, you might also find helpful information.

Check to see if the lawyer or paralegal is licensed by the Law Society of Ontario and is not facing a discipline process.

Check to see if the immigration consultant is registered with the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC) and is not facing a discipline process.

Hide this website