3. Fill out information about previous claims

List any refugee claims you made in any other country and any claims made by the relatives listed in your Basis of Claim Form (BOC). 

If you have a family member who made a refugee claim in Canada in the past, try to get copies of any documents from their claim. The Refugee Board will also try to find this information. Canada and a number of other countries have agreements to share this information. The Refugee Board will review their file and compare it with what you say in your claim. You might be asked to explain any differences.

You will not be eligible to make a refugee claim if you arrived from a country that has an information sharing agreement with Canada and you already made a refugee claim in that country. The list of countries includes the United States, Australia, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom. If this applies to you, get legal advice right away. You will be able to apply for a Pre-Removal Risk Assessment (PRRA). A PRRA is a written application where you explain why you're afraid to return to your country and you provide documents to support your fear. Unlike other PRRA applicants, you must be given an oral hearing with an immigration officer. At this oral hearing, you will be asked questions about what you fear and the you have to support that fear.

Hide this website