1. Find out if you need a Certificate of Judgment

The debtor isn't paying me. How can I find out more about their financial situation?
This question has an answer and 5 steps

1. Find out if you need a Certificate of Judgment

Before you get an examination hearing, you may have to file a Certificate of Judgment. A Certificate of Judgement proves that the court decided your case, and ordered someone to give you back your property or pay you money.

A Certificate of Judgment can only be issued by the court that made the original order. This is called the originating court. There is a fee for each Certificate of Judgment that is issued.

You need a Certificate of Judgment if you want an examination hearing or garnishment in a different city than where the claim was issued. For example, you may want to do this if the person who owes you money has moved to another city.

You May Also Need

Ontario Court Forms
Ministry of the Attorney General
Reviewed: February 23, 2017

Parlez Français