Services in Ontario - Police complaints

Office of the Independent Police Review Director (OIPRD)


Contact Information

Phone 416-246-7071 Toll-free 1-877-411-4773 TTY 1-877-414-4773

The Office is an independent agency that receives and looks into all complaints about police in Ontario.

Law Society Referral Service

The Law Society of Ontario has on online Law Society Referral Service that gives you the name of a lawyer or licensed paralegal who will give free legal advice for up to 30 minutes in any area of law.

If you can’t wait for a legal representative to call you back, or if you don’t have a call-back number, email Or, if you’re in crisis or in custody, call 1-855-947-5255 or 416-947-5255, Monday to Friday, between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.

Ontario Provincial Police (OPP)


Contact Information

Phone 1-888-310-1122 Toll-free 1-888-310-1133

The OPP is the police force in places that don’t have a local police service. If you live in one of those areas and need a police record check done, contact the OPP. For example, you might need a record check if you’re applying for a job, have signed up for volunteer work, or are adopting a child.

You can get the request form you need from:

Call 211 if you’re not sure what police force to contact for a police record check.



Contact Information

Phone 416-479-0551 Toll-free 1-866-919-3219

JusticeNet helps people find a legal professional if their income is too high to get legal aid but too low to afford legal fees. If your net family income is less than $59,000, they refer you to an online directory of lawyers, paralegals, and mediators who provide help at reduced rates.

JusticeNet is a non-profit organization. You must register and pay a $25 fee to use their website. They may return the fee if you don’t find a professional to work with.

The Human Rights Legal Support Centre (HRLSC)


Contact Information

Phone 416-597-4900 Toll-free 1-866-625-5179 TTY 416-597-4903 Toll-free TTY 1-866 612-8627

The centre gives free legal information and advice to people who have experienced discrimination. They can:

  • help you fill out an application to the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario
  • give legal advice about how to deal with discrimination
  • provide legal representation at mediations and hearings, in some situations

They have an online tool that can help you figure out if your situation might be discrimination.

Hide this website