Services in Ontario - Criminal law
Ontario Paralegal Association
Legal Aid Ontario (LAO) – Criminal Law Services
Contact InformationPhone 416-979-1446 Toll-free 1-800-668-8258 TTY 416-598-8867 Toll-free TTY TTY (teletypewriter) – Use Bell’s Relay Service: 1 800 855 0511
During the COVID-19 situation, LAO is offering more telephone support. Call LAO’s summary advice line at 1-800-668-8258 for more information.
LAO has services for people who have been charged with a crime. This includes:
- a free summary advice line that can give you up to 20 minutes of information and general advice about your criminal law matter
- criminal duty counsel who can give you free legal advice if you don’t have a lawyer on the day of your hearing
- a legal aid certificate program if you have a low income and if your legal issue is one that LAO covers
Association of French Speaking Jurists of Ontario (AJEFO)
Contact InformationPhone 613-842-7462
AJEFO is a group of legal professionals who promote access to justice in French. AJEFO’s services to the public include:
- the Ontario Legal Information Centre, which offers a free 30-minute meeting with a lawyer by telephone or in person at their Ottawa office in any area of law in English and French
- CliquezJustice.ca, which has legal information on many legal topics
- a member directory, where you can search for a legal professional by location and area of law
Law Society Referral Service
The Law Society of Ontario has on online Law Society Referral Service that gives you the name of a lawyer or licensed paralegal who will give free legal advice for up to 30 minutes in any area of law.
If you can’t wait for a legal representative to call you back, or if you don’t have a call-back number, email email@example.com. Or, if you’re in crisis or in custody, call 1-855-947-5255 or 416-947-5255, Monday to Friday, between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
Ontario Legal Information Centre
Contact InformationPhone 613-842-7462 Toll-free 1-844-343-7462
Law Society of Ontario – Lawyer and Paralegal Directory
Contact InformationPhone 416-479-0551 Toll-free 1-866-919-3219
JusticeNet helps people find a legal professional if their income is too high to get legal aid but too low to afford legal fees. If your net family income is less than $59,000, they refer you to an online directory of lawyers, paralegals, and mediators who provide help at reduced rates.
JusticeNet is a non-profit organization. You must register and pay a fee to use the website. They may return the fee if you don’t find a professional to work with.