Services in Ontario - Abuse of people with disabilities
ARCH Disability Law Centre
Contact InformationPhone 416-482-8255 Toll-free 1-866-482-2724 TTY 416-482-1254 Toll-free TTY 1-866-482-2728
Legal Aid Ontario funds ARCH to offer legal services to people with disabilities who have a low income. They will also give some advice to anyone with a disability who contacts them. ARCH’s work focuses on the areas of abuse, accessibility laws, attendant services, legal capacity, discrimination, education, and employment.
During the COVID-19 situation, many community legal clinics are no longer meeting with people in person, but will provide services over the phone. Call ahead for more information.
Legal Aid Ontario funds legal clinics across Ontario. There are two types of legal clinics: community legal clinics and specialty legal clinics.
Community legal clinics provide free legal services to people with low incomes who live in their area. Most help with:
- Ontario Works and the Ontario Disability Support Program
- tenants’ rights
- the Canada Pension Plan, Old Age Security, and the Guaranteed Income Supplement
- some employment issues
Some clinics can help with immigration and refugee problems.
Search for the clinic in your area using your postal code.
Some specialty legal clinics provide free legal services to specific groups of people with low incomes:
- Advocacy Centre for the Elderly
- Aboriginal Legal Services
- ARCH Disability Law Centre
- Black Legal Action Centre
- Centre Francophone du Grand Toronto
- Chinese and South Asian Legal Clinic
- Centre for Spanish Speaking Peoples
- HIV & AIDS Legal Clinic Ontario
- Justice for Children and Youth
- South Asian Legal Clinic of Ontario
Some specialty legal clinics provide free legal services in only certain areas of law:
- Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario
- Canadian Environmental Law Association
- Income Security Advocacy Centre
- Industrial Accident Victims Group of Ontario
- Injured Workers Community Legal Clinic
- Workers Health and Safety Legal Clinic
For more help contacting a clinic, call Legal Aid Ontario at 1-800-668-8258 or 416-979-1446. For TTY, use Bell’s Relay Service at 1-866-641-8867 or 416-598-8867.
Ontario Ministry of the Attorney General – Victim services directory
The directory has information about services for victims of crime. You can search based on where you live and what type of service you’re looking for.
These organizations offer Victim Crisis Assistance and Referral Services. They also help you apply to the VQRP+.
Assaulted Women’s Helpline
Contact InformationPhone 416-863-0511 Toll-free 1-866-863-0511 TTY 416-364-8762 Toll-free TTY 1-866-863-7868
The helpline is a 24-hour telephone and TTY crisis line for women who have experienced abuse. It helps women in over 200 languages, and offers counselling, support, information, and referrals to legal and community services.
You can call them or text #SAFE (#7233) on a Bell, Rogers, Fido, or Telus mobile phone.