You are here
What legal issues should I think about when I separate or divorce?
Once you or your partner decide to separate or divorce, you have to make decisions on important things like:
- who will stay in your home
- how your children will be cared for and where they will live
- who will make decisions for your child
- financial support, including child support and spousal support
- how you will divide property
And, if you’re not a Canadian citizen and you want to separate from or divorce your partner, you also need to think about how your immigration status will be affected.
But for other things, like dividing property, the law treats people differently depending on whether they are married or are in a common-law relationship.
If you can't afford to hire a lawyer for your whole case, some lawyers will provide "unbundled services" or "limited scope retainer" services. This means you pay them to help you with part of your case.
If you can't afford to hire a lawyer at all, you may be able to find legal help in other places.