What should we do if we can’t agree on spousal support?

If you and your partner cannot agree on , with or without the help of lawyers, you have two options. You can ask a family law professional to help you resolve your issues. Or, you can go to court and ask a judge to decide.

Family law professionals

There are different types of family law professionals who can help you and your partner resolve your issues. These are neutral people who are trained to work with both of you to help you reach an agreement or make a decision for you.

For example, each family court location in Ontario offers subsidized mediation services. You can get up to 8 hours of  for a fee that is based on each person's income. You can use this service whether or not you have a court case. And if you have a court case, you can get up to 2 hours of mediation for free at the court.

These processes are sometimes called because they help solve your issues without going to court.

Go to court

If you and your partner still cannot agree even with the help of a family law professional, or if this is not the right option for you, one of you will have to start a family law court case.

A family court makes decisions using the family law rules and laws. Going to court can be a complicated process and it can take a lot of time. It can be stressful and expensive, but it is sometimes necessary to decide your issues.

Changing the process

You don't have to stick with one of these options. Sometimes you can use both or switch from one to the other.

For example, you and your partner might not be able to solve your case with the help of a family law professional, so you decide to go to court.

Or you might start a court case first, but then you and your partner agree to pause your case while you try to reach an agreement with the help of a family law professional.

Hide this website