You are here
I don't have permanent status in Canada. Can I get financial assistance from Ontario Works?
Long delays for appeal hearings
If you're appealing a decision made by OW or ODSP in 2020, your appeal hearing may not happen for a long time. People report that they're getting hearing dates from the Social Benefits Tribunal that are between 9 and 16 months in the future. We'll update this information as things change.
The law does not say what kind of immigration status you must have to qualify for assistance from OW.
The law only says who does not qualify because of immigration reasons.
Who may qualify for assistance
For example, you may be able to get financial assistance from OW if you:
- made a refugee claim that hasn’t been decided yet
- made a refugee claim that was refused
- are applying for Pre-Removal Risk Assessment or waiting for a decision
- are waiting for an admissibility hearing
- had temporary status as a student, worker or visitor but your status has expired
- are waiting for the Canada Border Services Agency to remove you from Canada
If OW is not giving you financial assistance because of your immigration status, contact a community legal clinic for help.
Step 2 explains who might not qualify for OW because of immigration reasons.