Can I be on OW if I’m not a permanent resident or citizen?

1. Learn the OW rules about living in Ontario

To qualify for from Ontario Works (OW) you must show that you live in Ontario.

Showing that you live in Ontario does not depend on the immigration status you have.

When you apply

You apply for OW financial assistance from the OW office for the area where you live.

You need to tell OW where you live. You might be able to show documents such as a lease or receipts from your landlord that show you're paying rent.

It does not matter how long you've been living where you are. And you don't have to show how long you plan to live there.

If you don’t have a permanent address

OW can't refuse to give you assistance just because you don't have a permanent address.

If OW refuses to give you assistance

If OW refuses to give you assistance, you may be able to appeal their decision. Contact a community legal clinic for advice and help.

Hide this website