What is parenting coordination?
Question & AnswerWhat is parenting coordination?
2. Agree on a parenting coordinator
Parents need to agree on who to hire as their parenting coordinator.
A parenting coordinator doesn't work for you in the way your lawyer does. They balance each parent's needs and your children's needs. They don't have to keep their discussions with you private like your lawyer does.
But you should still feel comfortable with your parenting coordinator. Before hiring your parenting coordinator see if they:
- have experience dealing with cases like yours
- listen to you
- make you feel comfortable and not rushed
- explain things in a way you can understand
- answer your questions about the process
- work with a disability anyone in your family may have
Find a parenting coordinator
Parenting coordinators are usually mental health or legal professionals with special training. Some mediators and arbitrators act as parenting coordinators.
You can ask a mediator or arbitrator if they also act as a parenting coordinator. You can find an accredited or certified mediator or arbitrator through:
- the Ontario Association for Family Mediation for an accredited mediator
- Family Mediation Canada for a certified mediator
- The ADR Institute of Ontario for a certified mediator or a certified arbitrator
A certified mediator or arbitrator has completed special training and must have professional liability insurance. This means that they have insurance in case someone sues them for not mediating or arbitrating properly.
Your lawyer might also recommend a parenting coordinator.
Or you may be able to find a list of parenting coordinators in your community through your local Family Law Information Centre (FLIC).