Can I sponsor my spouse or partner who’s living outside Canada?
Question & AnswerCan I sponsor my spouse or partner who’s living outside Canada?
4. Start your application
You make your sponsorship application to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). IRCC decides if:
- you qualify to be a sponsor
- your or partner meets the requirements to become a , for example, they're not because of their criminal record
- your marriage or relationship is genuine and not started mainly for immigration reasons
To complete your sponsorship application, you and your spouse or partner need to:
- fill out the required forms, and
- include all of the documents that are on the checklist in your application package.
For more information about making an application, read the question How do I sponsor my spouse or partner to become a permanent resident if they’re living outside Canada?