1. Learn why OW may want to visit your home
Beware of scams
People have been getting phone calls with a pre-recorded message telling them their Ontario Works account has been deleted.
This is a scam to trick you into sharing your personal information. If you get a call like that, hang up the phone. You can report these calls to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501.
Question & AnswerCan OW show up at my house without telling me?
Ontario Works (OW) can decide to do a home visit to check information about whether you're eligible for assistance and the amount you should get.
This could happen when you apply for or while you're getting assistance.
For example, they might want to check:
- if you live at the address you gave them
- if you’re living with someone
- what kind of housing you're living in
- what you own, for example, if you have more than one car