What is the difference between a restraining order and a peace bond?

There are two main kinds of protection orders that you can apply for if you're afraid for your safety or the safety of your children: a and a .

You have to decide which order to apply for based on what is best for your situation. You should think about things like:

  • the relationship you have with the person you want the order against
  • how long you want the order to last
  • which court you have to use

You don't need a lawyer to apply for a restraining order or peace bond. But it's a good idea to get legal help, especially if your case has complicating factors. For example, if you're concerned about your immigration status or if you have for a child. Decision-making responsibility used to be called .

A lawyer can help you decide the type of you need, the conditions to ask for, and how to apply.  If you can’t afford a lawyer, there are resources to help you.

Safety plan

It can take a long time to get any type of court order, especially if the other person asks the court for more time to get ready.

The person you're asking for an order against doesn't have to keep away from you or your children while you're waiting for the court to make a decision. Think about making a safety plan for you and your children.

Hide this website