How do I change parenting arrangements in my agreement?

As of March 1, 2021, the term has changed to . And in most situations, the term has changed to . Now, all parents usually have parenting time.

Also, a person who isn't a parent or step-parent may get a to spend time with a child. For example a grandparent can get this order.

You or your partner may want or need to change your or because of changes to your situation. For example:

It can be difficult to get along with your partner. Small issues can build up and make you want to change your separation agreement. Think carefully about what issues you want to take to court.

For example, it's best not to go to court for things like who has to wash your child's clothes after they spent time with your partner or because your partner isn't always on time. Try to find another way to resolve these issues that can save you time and money.

You should first see what your separation agreement says you have to do if one of you wants to change it. For example, it might say that you have to try before going to court. Even if your agreement doesn't say this, you might want to try an process before going to court.

Agreements about decision-making responsibility and parenting time can't be changed by a court. But, if you and your partner can't agree on how to change it, you can start a family law court case to have a judge make decisions about these issues. Decision-making responsibility and parenting time used to be called custody and access.

The judge looks at your agreement and the test to make decisions about your child.

You have to follow your agreement, until it is changed.

Hide this website