What if we agree on what happens with our child?

As of March 1, 2021, the term has changed to . And in most situations, the term has changed to . Now, all parents usually have parenting time.

Also, a person who isn't a parent or step-parent may get a to spend time with a child. For example a grandparent can get this order.

If you and your partner agree on decision-making responsibility, parenting time, and parenting arrangements, you can put what you've agreed on in a or . This is a written contract that you and your partner make. Decision-making responsibility and parenting time used to be called custody and access.

Your agreement can deal with only decision-making responsibility and parenting time alone, or can include other things like , , and .

You don't have to wait until you and your partner agree on everything before making a separation agreement. You can make an agreement on the things you agree on, while working on other issues.

You can make an agreement if you're or in a .

There are some good reasons to make an agreement:

  • It can be faster, cheaper, and less stressful than going to court.
  • It lets you and your partner decide what works best for you and your family.
  • It lets others involved in your children's care, such as their school, daycare, and doctor, know what you and your partner have agreed to.
  • It's easier to prove what you and your partner agreed on if you have a written rather than a verbal agreement.

You can talk to a lawyer who can give you advice about the rules your agreement needs to follow to make it legal. If you can't afford to hire a lawyer, you may be able to find legal help in other places.

Hide this website