What can I do if my partner and I can’t agree after separating?

As of March 1, 2021, the term has changed to . And in most situations, the term has changed to . Now, all parents usually have parenting time.

Also, a person who isn't a parent or step-parent may get a to spend time with a child. For example a grandparent can get this order.

Sometimes you and your partner may not be able to agree on your family law issues, with or without lawyers. In this situation, family law says you both must think about getting help to resolve your issues out of court.

Out-of-court options

Family law professionals are people who are trained to work with both of you to help you reach an agreement or make a decision for you, without going to court. They use processes such as or .

These out-of-court-options are sometimes called (ADR) or family dispute resolution processes. If ADR doesn't work, or if it isn't suitable for your situation, then you can go to court and ask a judge to decide.

Go to court

If you and your partner still cannot agree even with the help of a family law professional, or if this is not the right option for you, one of you has to start a family law court case.

A family court makes decisions using the family law rules and laws. Going to court can be a complicated process and it can take a lot of time. It can be stressful and expensive, but it is sometimes necessary to decide your issues.

Changing the process

You don't have to stick with one of these options. Sometimes you can use both or switch from one to the other.

For example, you and your partner might not be able to solve your case with the help of a family law professional, so you decide to go to court.

Or you might start a court case first, but then you and your partner agree to pause your case while you try to reach an agreement with the help of a family law professional.

Hide this website