I’m an older adult being forced from my home. What can I do?
Question & AnswerI’m an older adult being forced from my home. What can I do?
3. Protect yourself from being forced to move
There are things you can do to reduce the risk of someone forcing you to move.
For example, it's important to:
- Understand documents before you sign them. Don't sign anything when someone is pressuring you. It's always a good idea to get legal advice.
- Be careful when choosing the person who'll be your attorney in your . Make sure that you trust them and know that they'll respect your wishes.
- Think carefully before deciding to have someone move in with you or before you move in with someone else.
- Plan for your future while you're still independent and . This includes preparing your will and powers of attorney.
- Make a plan for your personal care so you won't have to rely on family members, unless that's what you want.