3. Tell the police if you need accommodation

Tell the police if you need extra help or something done differently. The police must give you any extra help that you need because of your disability. This is called accommodation.

You can tell the police if you need:

  • to have a support person with you when you talk to the police
  • to take breaks during your conversation with the police
  • to use a qualified sign-language interpreter, intervenor, communication intermediary, or another person to help you communicate
  • real-time captioning
  • to get papers in a different format, such as Braille or large print
  • any other equipment, facilities or help that you usually need

If you were sexually assaulted, you might want to ask for a police officer of your gender.

Hide this website