Can I get house arrest instead of going to jail?
Question & AnswerCan I get house arrest instead of going to jail?
4. Prepare for your sentencing hearing
You or your lawyer should explain how serving a would:
- help you rehabilitate
- follow the principles of sentencing
Before you're sentenced, gather documents such as:
- letters of support from employers or agencies where you have volunteered
- proof of a job or offers of a job
- personal letters of reference
- proof that you have enrolled in rehabilitation programs
Make the court aware of any obligations you have related to:
- your job
- going to school
- taking care of your health
At your sentencing hearing, the judge will also consider:
- your criminal record
- your personal history
- the circumstances of the crime
- what the victim has said about the crime
The judge decides your sentence based on what they think is appropriate and reasonable.