I qualified for EI. What must I do to continue getting my benefits?
Question & AnswerI qualified for EI. What must I do to continue getting my benefits?
5. Follow directions from Service Canada staff
You must follow directions if you are asked by Service Canada staff to come in for a meeting or go somewhere to help you find a job.
You can be disqualified for a certain period of time if Service Canada staff decide you are not doing what you are supposed to do.
Your benefits can be stopped for 1 to 6 weeks if you do not:
- follow a reasonable written instruction from Service Canada staff
- go to a meeting they want you to attend
- participate in a course or employment activity they send you to, or if you quit it without reason, or you are expelled
Your benefits can be stopped for 7 to 12 weeks if you:
- do not accept a suitable job
- are aware of a suitable job but you don’t apply for it
Service Canada staff must tell you in writing if you are disqualified. They might send you a warning letter before they stop your benefits, but they don’t have to. In either case, get legal help right away.