How much vacation time do I get?
Question & AnswerHow much vacation time do I get?
Keep track of the vacation time you earn
It’s a good idea to keep your own records in case your employer does not keep accurate records.
And if you don’t agree with what your employer says about the amount of vacation you’ve earned, it’s helpful if you have your own records.
The law says that your employer must keep records of:
- your vacation time, including what you’ve earned, taken, and are owed
- the you’ve earned
- your vacation pay, including what you’ve earned, taken, and are owed
Your employer must give you this information if you ask for it.
When you’re making your own records, it’s best to make them at the time. One way to show that you kept records at the time is to send email messages to yourself that:
- list how many hours you worked
- figure out how much you earned
- note how much you were paid
It’s a good idea to do this at least once for each pay period.