I have a problem with my employer. How can my union help me?
Question & AnswerI have a problem with my employer. How can my union help me?
Talk to your union representative
In a unionized workplace, members elect a member to be their union representative. Some people call this a “union steward” or “shop steward”.
Responsibilities of a union representative
Your union representative is supposed to do things like:
- make sure your employer follows the
- talk to your employer when you want help with a problem about rights in the agreement
- come with you if you want them there when you meet with your employer
- ask staff at the union office to give advice or help
- help you use the process in the collective agreement to make a complaint against your employer