What is collaborative family law?
Question & AnswerWhat is collaborative family law?
3. Sign a participation agreement
You and your partner have to sign an agreement with your lawyers. This is usually called a participation agreement.
Your collaborative family law lawyers usually draft this agreement.
The agreement will include details about you, your partner, and your issues. It will also include things such as:
- that you will negotiate respectfully and cooperatively
- that you will share financial information and other documents
- how you end the process if you haven't resolved your issues
- that you agree not to go to court with your collaborative family law lawyer
Before signing the agreement:
- Read it carefully.
- Make sure that it includes all the important details about the process.
- Ask any questions you have.
- Make sure that you understand it.