I’m adopted. Can I find out about my birth parents?

4. Severe Medical Search

You may need to find your birth parents to get or share medical information that could help diagnose or treat a severe mental or physical illness. This is called a severe medical search.

You can apply for a Severe Medical Search by filling out a form called the Adopted Person’s and Descendant of Adopted Person’s Application to Request a Severe Medical Search. It is also called form 3090E.

You have to provide as much information as you can about yourself and anything you know about your birth parents.

You also need a health care professional, like a doctor, to fill in portions of the form and give information about your health condition. They must explain why the genetic information you are looking for is important to your diagnosis and treatment.

The information on the form will be reviewed and a decision will be made about whether to perform the search.

Hide this website