Can I appeal a decision about my mental health?

Complain to the professional’s organization

If you think your has behaved unprofessionally, or if you think the you received was not good enough, you can submit an official complaint to the professional organization they belong to.

These organizations can discipline professionals for behaving in unethical or unprofessional ways. The organization you send your complaint to will depend on the type of health-care provider you have an issue with.

In your complaint, include details like your health-care provider's name and contact information, the reason for your complaint, and why you think the health-care provider should be disciplined.

If you think it would be helpful, you can also attach any documents that support your complaint, such as letters or emails from your health-care provider, medical reports, or statements from witnesses.

Common professional organizations

Here are examples of common mental health-care providers and their professional organizations:

Talk to a lawyer first

You should talk to a lawyer before submitting an official complaint. Depending on the situation, it might be better for you to start a court case. A lawyer can advise you about your options.

Hide this website