How do I complain about my lawyer’s bill?

3. Give your lawyer a copy of your forms

You must give your lawyer a copy of your court forms and a copy of your bill. This is called serving your documents. This lets your lawyer know about the assessment and gives them a chance to respond.

Keep the originals for yourself.

After you your lawyer, you must:

  • complete an Affidavit of Service that gives details on when and how you served your lawyer
  • the Affidavit of Service with the court office or bring it to the court on the date of your hearing, depending on local practice

You must do this at least 10 days before your hearing date.

Affidavit of service

When you serve your lawyer, you can do it in person or hire a to do it for you. You may also serve your lawyer using or a courier.

The Guide to Serving Documents explains the rules that must be followed.

The person who serves your lawyer must complete an Affidavit of Service. It includes information like:

  • the date and time your lawyer was served
  • where it was served
  • the first and last name of the person who was served
  • whether your lawyer was served in person, by courier, or by registered mail

If you serve your lawyer by mail, you need the signature of the person who accepts the delivery. This signature is your proof that the claim was served.

Hide this website