What can my landlord do if I owe rent?

If your landlord gives you a notice, check if it’s filled out correctly

If your landlord wants you to move out because of unpaid rent, they must give you a Notice to End your Tenancy Early for Non-payment of Rent (Form N4) . Check it carefully to see if it's filled out completely. The (LTB) could refuse to you if the doesn't follow all these rules:

Uses the proper form

The notice should be on the LTB's Form N4. But even if it isn't on the proper form, the notice might still be valid if it has all the same information as the Form N4 does.

Gives details about what you owe

The notice must tell you how much rent the landlord says you owe. It must also show how the landlord calculated the amount.

Tells you how to cancel the notice

The notice must tell you that you can cancel it by paying all the rent that you owe by a certain date. That date must be at least 14 days after you get the notice if you rent by the month or year, or 7 days if you rent by the day or week.

Is signed

The notice must be signed by your landlord or their representative. It must have the complete address of your rental unit and the names of all the tenants. Usually this means anyone who is responsible for paying rent or who is listed as a tenant in your rental agreement.

Hide this website