Should I ask for a Temporary Resident Permit in my H&C claim?
Question & AnswerShould I ask for a Temporary Resident Permit in my H&C claim?
2. Learn what you can do if you’re dealing with family violence or abuse
There are special rules to help you if you’re in a situation of family violence or abuse.
You can apply for a based on these rules if all of the following are true:
- you’ve applied or want to apply for status in Canada
- you’re being abused by your or
- you’ve been depending on the relationship with your spouse or partner for your application to be successful
When an application depends on your spouse or partner
Usually, if an application depends on your spouse or partner, this means that your spouse or partner is sponsoring or has promised to sponsor you. For example:
- you’re waiting for a decision on an application for permanent residence based on a sponsorship by your spouse or partner
- you’re waiting for your spouse or partner to begin an application to sponsor you for permanent residence
- your spouse or partner withdrew their application to sponsor you for permanent residence
You might also qualify for a Temporary Resident Permit because of family violence if you’ve made or planned to make a .
How long the permit lasts
If you get a Temporary Resident Permit because of family violence, it will be valid for at least 6 months. You don’t have to pay a fee to apply.