3. Complete the online application
Question & AnswerHow do I sponsor my spouse or partner if they’re living outside Canada?
Starting September 23, 2022, you must use the online Permanent Residence Portal to submit your sponsorship application.
If you can't apply online, and require accommodations, including for a disability, contact Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to ask for the application in another format. For example, you could ask for an application that is on paper, braille, or large print.
To do this, send an email to IRCC.PRPortalALTRequest-DemandeALTPortailRP.IRCC@cic.gc.ca.
In the subject line of the email include:
- the format you need, for example paper, braille, or large print, and
- the sponsorship application package you want
In the body of the email include:
- your full name as shown on your passport
- your or partner's full name
- why you're asking for an alternate format
- if you want the application in English or French
- your email address if you want the application to be sent by email
- your mailing address if you want the application to be sent by mail
IRCC will review your request and send you instructions about how to apply. To submit your application:
- fill out and sign any paper forms
- include a copy of the approval letter or email from IRCC by placing it on top of your application package
- return the application by mail or courier to the mailing address given in the instructions
For more information, call 1-888-242-2100.
Pay the fees
You must pay processing fees. If you're sponsoring only your spouse or partner, you must pay:
- $75 as a sponsorship fee
- $490 as a permanent residence application fee
- $85 as a biometrics fee
You also have to pay $515 as a right of permanent residence fee. You can pay this fee after your application is approved. But if you do this it might take longer for your spouse or partner to arrive in Canada. If you pay the fee when you apply, IRCC refunds it to you if the application is refused.
You pay your fees online using a credit card or a Canadian debit card. You need to give IRCC an email address. They email you a receipt. You must print the receipt and include it with your application.
Submit your application
Before you submit your application, make sure you:
- answer all questions
- electronically sign your application with your full name exactly as shown on your passport
- include your processing fee receipt
- upload all the documents that are on the checklist in your application package.