How do I sponsor my spouse or partner if they’re living in Canada?

You may be able to sponsor your or who is living in Canada for status. To do this, you and your spouse or partner must fill out the correct forms, gather the proper supporting documents, and submit your application online.

You make your sponsorship application to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). IRCC decides if:

You may be able to include your spouse or partner's children in the same application. You can learn more about sponsoring a in Can I sponsor my child or my spouse or partner’s child to become a permanent resident?

List all family members

In any application for permanent residence, the person applying must list their spouse, common-law partner, and any dependent children and their dependent children.

This means your spouse or partner must list any dependent children they have (and their dependent children, if they have any). All dependent children will have to do medical exams and background checks for IRCC to decide if they're . IRCC does this even if the children are not here or not planning to come to Canada.

If the children are not listed on your application or they don't go through the examination process with IRCC, your spouse or partner:

  • might not have the right to sponsor them later
  • could be refused permanent resident status
  • could lose their permanent resident status in the future

Get help if you need it

The rules and the process for sponsoring someone are complicated.

Mistakes in an application are difficult to correct and can lead to the application being refused or problems with status. If you're not sure about something, ask for information from a community agency or get legal help.

Hide this website