I’m a permanent resident. How do I apply for Canadian citizenship?

3. Include applications for other family members

Each adult has to complete their own citizenship application. But members of the same family can send their applications together to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

If you have a child who's a and younger than 18, you can complete their application.

A child who's a permanent resident does not have to prove all the same things as an adult. For example, they don't need to show:

  • how long they've been in Canada
  • their knowledge of English or French
  • what they know about Canada

The application you use for your child is called Application for Canadian Citizenship – Minors Subsection 5(2).

The government has documents to help you. Search here for the following documents:

  • Document Checklist [CIT 0008]
  • Instruction guide

Follow these steps to open and save an IRCC form in PDF format, using Adobe Acrobat Reader for both PC and Mac users. You can't open the forms on your phone or tablet.

Adopted children

You may be able to apply for Canadian citizenship for your adopted child who is not a permanent resident. To do this, you or the child's other adoptive parent must have been a Canadian citizen when you adopted your child.

Hide this website