Can I be a sponsor for a member of my family?

5. Get legal help if you gave incorrect or incomplete information to IRCC

When you make an application to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), you must:

  • give information that's true and correct, and
  • give all of the information you're required to give.

If you don't do this, it's called misrepresentation and has serious consequences. These include being from Canada and being charged with a crime.

When you apply to sponsor someone, IRCC checks the information in your application against any other information they have about you and your or . For example, they'll look at any other applications you've made. If there are differences in the information, they may decide to investigate.

There's a risk that you could:

  • lose your status in Canada, and
  • be forced to leave.

If there's any risk that this could happen to you, get legal help.

If you didn’t tell IRCC about a family member

You don't have the right to sponsor someone who was your family member when you applied for or became a , if you didn't tell IRCC about them before becoming a permanent resident.

You may need to get legal advice about:

  • the risk that you could lose your own status in Canada
  • options for your family member to come to Canada

In some cases, IRCC can decide not to apply this rule.

Hide this website