Can I get spousal support and money from ODSP?

2. Learn about when you must try to get spousal support

The Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) can refuse to give you , reduce the amount you get, or cut off your income support, if you:

  • might be able to get , and
  • don't make “reasonable efforts” to get it.

“Reasonable efforts” could include:

  • applying to family court for a support order
  • making sure you give ODSP all the information you have about trying to get support

ODSP will ask for the name of your spouse. They could also ask where that person is and for other information, like:

  • their (SIN)
  • their employer's name and address
  • how long you lived together and when you separated

If you know this information but don't give it to ODSP, they can refuse to give you income support, reduce the amount you get, or cut off your income support.

If this happens, you might be able to appeal their decision.

What ODSP may ask you to do

ODSP may ask you to:

  • make a support agreement with your spouse that follows the guidelines that the courts use to decide on spousal support
  • apply to get a for spousal support
  • go back to court and ask the court to order your spouse to pay more support
  • enforce a spousal support agreement or court order that you already have

But there are times when you may not have to try to get spousal support. See Step 3.

Hide this website