Find out about other legal help for people with low incomes

If you can't afford to hire a lawyer and you don't qualify for help from Legal Aid Ontario (LAO), there are some other places where you might be able to get help with your refugee claim.

The Barbra Schlifer Commemorative Clinic

The Barbra Schlifer Commemorative Clinic is a United Way agency that is not part of LAO. The clinic has its own rules that determine who can use its services. The clinic serves low-income and middle-income women who live in Toronto and who have experienced violence. The clinic has an immigration and refugee lawyer on staff who can give advice or full representation in some cases. You can call Central Intake at 416-323-9149 ext. 234 or fill out and submit their intake form online.


JusticeNet is a not-for-profit organization that can help people find legal services when their income is too high for legal aid and too low to afford legal fees. Their website has a list of lawyers, paralegals, and mediators who charge reduced fees based on your income and the size of your family. You must register and pay a small fee to use their services.

Hide this website