I filed online for liquidated damages. Can I get a default judgment?
Question & AnswerI filed online for liquidated damages. Can I get a default judgment?
3. Enter information about the amount owed
You have to enter information about the principal amount and interest amount of your claim.
The principal amount is the amount you're asking for. It doesn't include interest or money you spent filing your claim.
If you're also asking for interest, you have to say what the rate of interest is.
If you and the have previously agreed on a rate of interest, enter the rate and choose Agreed upon with defendant. For example, you may have a contract that says what the interest rate will be if one of you owes the other money.
If you did not agree on a rate of interest, you can ask for interest at the rate the court has set. To do this, choose The Courts of Justice Act rate.
Your costs for filing a claim may include several types of fees. For example, you may have to pay a fee to:
- have affidavits commissioned
- your claim
- file your claim
- note the defendant in default
- get services from your lawyer or paralegal
You don't have to provide receipts for court fees. But you must scan and upload receipts to prove you paid other types of fees.
Complete the form
To complete the online form:
- Select the defendants you want to note in default. Check that their contact information is correct and click Next.
- Enter the principal amount from your Plaintiff’s Claim.
- If you and the defendant agreed on an annual rate of interest for the amount owed, click Agreed upon with defendant.
- If you did not agree on an annual rate of interest, you can ask to get interest at the rate set by the court. To do this, click The Courts of Justice Act rate.
- Enter the date of the event that led to the claim or the day you suffered your harm. The amount of pre-judgment interest will be displayed on the screen.
- Click Next to begin entering costs related to your claim.
- Pay the fee for filing a default judgement. The fee for filing a default judgment is usually $89.