Guided Pathway for requesting a court fee waiver
This Guided Pathway can help you complete a form to request a court fee waiver. A fee waiver means you don’t have to pay court fees, usually because your income is low.
The pathway asks you questions, gives you information to help answer them, and puts your answers in the required form. The pathway is free to use. When you’re finished, you can save or print your form.
Who is this Guided Pathway for?
You can ask for a fee waiver if:
- you are or will be involved in a civil, small claims, or certain type of family law court case
- you’re not acting on behalf of a business or organization
- your fees are not being paid by a lawyer under a contingency fee agreement, which means you and your lawyer agreed that you’ll only pay them if your case is successful
You can also ask for a fee waiver if you’re acting as a litigation guardian for someone who is mentally incapable of representing themselves.
Usually, you’re eligible for a fee waiver if one or more of these situations applies to you:
- your total household income is low
- most of your income is from social assistance or other benefits
- your lawyer is being paid by a legal aid certificate
The pathway can help you determine if you’re eligible for a fee waiver. If you’re not eligible, the pathway can help you fill out a different form to request a fee waiver from a judge.
Using the pathway
It can take between 15 minutes and 1 hour to complete the pathway, depending on your situation.
You can sign up to create an account or use the pathways as a guest. If you choose not to create an account, the system will time out after 4 hours. You must create an account if you want to save your work on the system, or use the other pathways without exiting the system and signing back in. If you have an account, you can save and exit the pathway at any time.
If you need help using the Guided Pathways or have questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.