I don’t speak English or French. What are my rights?

The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects your right to get help from an interpreter if you don't understand English or French. Interpretation services for criminal and child protection cases are offered in any language required.

You can have an interpreter every time you go to court. This includes your , , and .

If you have a witness or a potential who has difficulty understanding English or French, you can also ask for a court interpreter to help them.

The government pays certified interpreters to help people in court. You don't have to pay anything to use a court interpreter.


Hide this website