I don’t speak English or French. What are my rights?

1. Talk to your lawyer or duty counsel

If you don't understand English or French, tell your lawyer what language you understand best. Your lawyer will ask the court to have an interpreter for you the next time you're in court.

If you don't have a lawyer, talk to . Tell them that you need an interpreter. They will arrange for an interpreter to help you the next time you're in court. Every time you're in court, tell the court that you need an interpreter for your next appearance. That way, your request will be on the court record.

Hide this website