I’m a crime victim. Can I get money for expenses related to the crime?
Question & AnswerI’m a crime victim. Can I get money for expenses related to the crime?
The Victim Quick Response Program+ (VQRP+) is an Ontario government program that may pay for certain expenses you have if you've been a victim of a crime. These include the cost of:
- a funeral
- cleaning up the crime scene
- emergency expenses related to home and personal safety, for example, replacing broken windows or locks, and adding dead bolts or window alarms
- getting counselling or traditional Indigenous healing that gives immediate, short-term support, and travel costs to get there
There is more support available if you:
- suffered a serious injury because of the crime
- are the immediate family member of a homicide victim
- are a victim of human trafficking
The rules about who can qualify for help are very strict. For example, you must first report the crime to the police or to a community victim support agency within a certain time. And, in most cases, you must show that you:
- have no money to pay for the expenses, and
- there are no publicly-funded programs that can meet your needs.
The VQRP+ decides if you qualify and how much money you get. You will not have a court or tribunal .
In general, the deadlines to apply to the VQRP+ are:
- 45 days from the date of the crime to help pay for your immediate needs, such as cleaning up the crime scene or adding emergency safety features to your home
- 6 months from the date of the crime to help to pay for any short-term counselling or traditional Indigenous health services
- one year from the date of the crime to help pay for expenses related to a serious injury, or as an immediate family member of a homicide victim, or as a victim of human trafficking
The rules for children are different.
Because the VQRP+ is a new program that started on October 1, 2019, some of the details about how it works are not yet clear.
For more information or to apply to the VQRP+, contact your local VQRP+ service delivery organization.